Setting up the show I tried many different arrangements I wasn’t happy with the first arrangement I tried as the sides of the plinths were too bare and I didn’t feel like it looked that effective. Also working and setting up in the studio was quite challenging due to other students setting up at times I didn’t feel as though I had the space to work effectively and do my piece justice. I waited at times for the studio to become quieter in order for me to work more effectively by having the space to be able to look and reflect on my work. By reflecting on my work it allowed me to see that the positioning wasn’t doing my piece justice.
I then explored with moving the plinths and creating smaller & and bigger spacing in between. After trying out different compositions I decided to place the plinths closer together like the giants causeway were each hexagon column is next to each other. I then decided with working on the left section and building it up. I put all the felt pieces in colour order I wanted to show the contrast between the colours starting from brown and blending to green. As I started building up areas of felt I took photos and stepped away from the piece to see what was working effectively. I used masking tape to attach the felt to begin with this allowed me to easy manipulate the piece and change the placement of the individual pieces. I then added the weave to the plinth and by adding wire it allowed me to easily change the shape of the piece allowing it to look more natural. I placed felt pieces over parts of the weave in order for the separate textile pieces to work in harmony together. I think this worked really effectively as the two do work together due to the carefully selected colours and shape I chose when making the pieces.
The felt pieces that I had made that where 3D I stuffed with bubble wrap and carded wool so that they hold their shape more. I then added yarns to this when I was happy with their positioning and made it look as though they were spilling out. By using brightly coloured yarns in some of the 3D pieces it allows the viewers eye to be attracted to different areas of the piece.
I then using filament wire hung my muslin piece above the tallest plinth and manipulated into looking as if it was coming out of the piece.
Once I was happy with the full piece I added felt beads to areas as decoration but also to look at though they where growing out of sections. Some of the larger felt beads I stitched to felt pieces to lee them in place. Others I used velcro in order to keep the beads in place but also make it discrete to give a high finish for the exhibition.
After much manipulation and experimentation with composition I am really happy with the final outcome. Seeing it in the exhibition space gives the piece the space it needs to be understood and looked at. If there was more time I still feel that the piece has a lot of potential to be explored in different environments , I feel although my project is coming to an end it still has potential and over summer I plan to try out the ideas I have.